Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Year Ago


It is hard to believe a year has passed since Hadley was in the hospital with a virus from hell who would have thought she would end back there this year. I have never felt so helpless in all my life on this the very last day of 2009. Hadley was not feeling well so instead of her going up to spend the day with her Aunt Kari I told Kacy that I would keep her with me, Kacy was running late so I told her I would meet her at Kari's while she unloaded Wesley Ann I put Hadley in the car with me she woke up long enough to tell me she was not feeling good. I got her home laid her on the bed and she told me we wanted to watch the Strawberry Shortcake movie so I popped it in and set out to find the baby monitor I had put it away a long time ago but something told me to get it out and plug it back in. It was not long before she had fallen to sleep once again, so I went into the kitchen and started to clean, with every noise she made I would go and check on her. She had been asleep about a hour when I could hear her waking up, I gave her a little kiss on her forehead and told her she felt warm and that I needed to take her temp she started to fight with me about it, no sooner had I turned my back to pick up the thermometer when she went into a seizure. It is hard to explain the fear I felt as I picked her up ran for the phone and called 911 I have no memory of time it just seemed to take forever as I talked to the dispatcher making sure she had the right address and me pleading for them to hurry.Then I heard her call my name I knew the dispatcher who was on the other end of the line with me as soon as I knew who it was I felt calmer as we talked I told her where Kacy was and she told me she would call her , soon I had paramedics and an ambulance crew in with Hadley and I. Asking me questions and Hadley laying in my arms even with them there I was helpless we went over her history , we discussed where she needed to go. I told them I wanted her to go to Primary Children's hospital but they informed me she needed to get somewhere quicker so that left me with two choices the hospital that had messed up on my Dad a few years back or the other one, I chose the other one. By then they were talking to Kacy as she drove to my house she was close enough they could wait for her , I carried Hadley into the ambulance while Kacy got her gear together to make the ride with Hadley. So that is how we spent our last day of the year, in a emergency room with Hadley being poked, prodded and x rayed. No real clue as to the sudden spike in temp that resulted in the seizure. Luckily Hadley has no memory of it either or her first ride in an ambulance and her first 5 hours spent in the ER. By the next day she was up and changing into her many tutu's, singing and dancing! She is forever my * LITTLE SUNSHINE*

8 comments:

Karyn said...

OMW Whitey....How is Hadley doing today? What a frightening experience, but Thank God she was with you, your girls are so lucky to have you so very close! Sending hugs and prayers your way, kiddo.

Have your legs stopped shaking? You did good, my friend....I hope they either figure out what caused the spike in temp or it never comes back...my youngest was a fever spiker for no reason and he, thankfully, outgrew it. :)

Hugs and kisses to the skunk hollow girls ;)

Hugs

Vickers said...

Little children can be so scarey with medical alert flashes. So thankful that your precious Hadley Jo is fine and thankful for excellent medical response teams.

Selvage Quilter said...

Oh Whitey, what a scary day! I went through a similar thing 20 years ago with my son and it all worked out fine. But it sure was awful at the time. You did great. Good thing you have the family to go through these things together.
Hugs to you!
Karen

Deanie Rae's Space said...

Happy New Year!!!! So glad Hadley Jo is better. She is so cute. I bet she is such a joy to have. I just love seeing all the childrens pictures on your blog. Blessings Deanie

shana said...

How SCARY!!! I'm so glad that she is doing better! Not a fun way to start out the new year.

Mike and Kadie Briggs said...

How horrible for everyone involved. Did they ever get an answer as to why? Hope things are better!

"Jo" in many sizes said...

Mom, I know this was so hard for you, especially when you are also so filled with worry for your mom. I am grateful for you and your willingness to always help, and also for your quick thinking and helping our little girl. I am glad everything turned out ok, and on her *belly-troubles* we sure are working on FIBER!

Next New Years its face masks for 2 weeks before and after! Love you always.

Kellee said...

Holy cow. That is so scary. I'm so sorry that happened to you and cute little Hadley. Its a good thing you felt prompted to get the baby monitor and watch her carefully! Glad things turned out okay.